Read the article, then answer the following questions:
- Think about context. What was going on in Britain in the early 19th century that allowed Richard Cobden to become rich in such a short time?
- Why is it significant that Cobden ended up in Manchester after he had made his fortune?
- What happened in 1840–1842 that convinced many people that the Corn Laws should be thrown out?
- Which socioeconomic group benefited the most from the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846?
- What were the short‐ and long‐term historical effects of the free trade agreement that Cobden negotiated with France?