- What do you know about global trade? Do you know where the things you use every day like your tennis shoes, your phone, or the piece of fruit you had with lunch come from?
How did these products get to you?
As a class, create a K‑W-L chart. When you’re finished with this lesson, come back to the chart and fill in the right column.
|K: What do you KNOW about global trade?||W: What do you WANT to know about global trade?||L: What did you LEARN about global trade?|
- What do you know about shipping containers? Have you ever seen metal shipping containers on a semi‐truck, on a train, or stacked on a ship? Watch this video to learn more about this important 20th‐century innovation. Then answer these questions:
- Before container ships, how was cargo loaded onto and off of ships?
- What were some major problems with the traditional method of cargo handling on ships?
- How did cheaper shipping lead to globalized manufacturing?